This article documents the virtual cluster activation key type that can be used to activate Liferay DXP and Liferay Commerce instances in highly virtualized environments.
To request a virtual cluster activation key, customers need to open a support ticket with the Activation Key & Project Administration component and provide the following information:
- Liferay DXP and Liferay Commerce version
- Number of instances or cluster nodes
- Current patching level
In addition to this information, the activation key will include the purchased Instance Sizing (or allowed processor cores) and Subscription End Date.
Virtual cluster activation keys are used for activating both a cluster of multiple Liferay DXP instances, and also for activating a single instance. In this second scenario it can be referred to as virtual activation key.
The virtual cluster activation key has been implemented beginning with specific patch levels. If you are not running these patches, your instances will not be activated by a virtual cluster activation key.
The following table lists the patch levels at which virtual cluster activation keys are required. Note that each hotfix includes the preceding hotfixes, and each fix pack includes the preceding fix packs.
|Product Name and Version||Hotfix Built After||Fix Pack / Update|
|Liferay DXP 7.0||July 10, 2021||Fix Pack 101|
|Liferay DXP 7.1||June 30, 2021||Fix Pack 25|
|Liferay DXP 7.2||June 30, 2021||Fix Pack 14|
|Liferay DXP 7.3 and Liferay Commerce 3.0||June 30, 2021||Fix Pack 2|
|Liferay DXP 7.4 and Liferay Commerce 4.0||all hotfixes||all updates|
To deploy a virtual cluster activation key please follow the steps listed below:
- Confirm your patching level is compatible
- If needed, request a rebuilt hotfix from the Liferay Support team, and install the provided hotfix. Please see this article for detailed instructions: Installing Fix Packs and Hotfixes on Liferay DXP
- Request the virtual cluster activation key from the Liferay Support team
- Deploy the activation key
- Please see this article for detailed instructions: Deploying Activation Keys