This article gives an overview of a backup/disaster recovery environment that is necessary when starting a Liferay Portal project. This backup will often be referenced by Liferay Support Engineers as it is crucial to have a stable and working backup of the production environment to recover with if the production instance becomes unusable.
To summarize, please remember to make a copy of the following:
- Liferay Database
- Document Library/File System Data or the location of the Document Library files
- Relevant app server settings
- Portal-ext.properties file(s)
- Any customization, such as themes, hooks or custom plugins/portlets
- The Image Gallery repository (if using a Liferay Portal version prior to 6.2)
Each of these should be backed up on a regular basis.
Please remember that regardless of where the Document Library is stored—either in the database or file system—the backup of the Document Library needs to be in sync with the backup for the portal as failing to do so will cause conflicts and errors due to missing files.