For most versions of the Liferay platform, a Service Pack (e.g. 6.2 EE SP5 and above) is simply the original, GA version of the Liferay platform (e.g. 6.2 EE, or DXP 7.2) with the following updates included:
- An updated patching tool (if the tool has been updated since the original release)
- Updated plugins (if new versions have come out since the original release)
- The latest portal fix pack(s) installed
- An updated Tomcat application server
Because a service pack is simply an updated version of the original release, there are two ways to update to the latest service pack.
Download the latest service pack bundle
Download the bundle here. This is the best way to update to the latest service pack bundle. More information on installing bundles may be found here:
Update your current bundle
For existing projects, it is possible to update your existing environment through fix packs. To achieve the same outcome as downloading the latest service pack bundle:
- Download the latest patching tool from the customer portal and install it in your environment.
- Download the latest versions of the Liferay apps and plugins from the Liferay Marketplace and install them.
- Download the latest fix pack from the customer portal and install it via the patching tool.
Note: Be sure to backup your Liferay installation and database regularly, especially before patching.