In Liferay DXP attempting to publish content (page, cover page, or files) with broken links results in a "missing page reference" issue during publication. Also, even simple web content creation is not possible with dead links (relative links).
If you would like to maintain relative links, or allow the validator to ignore the missing page references, then you can perform the following steps:
In Liferay DXP 7.1
- Navigate to Control Panel > Configuration > System Settings > Platform > Infrastructure
- On the left hand menu, find the option for Export/Import, and select it
- Uncheck the 'Validate Layout References' and 'Validate File Entries' selections, and Save.
In Liferay DXP 7.0
- Navigate to Control Panel > Configuration > System Settings > Web Experience > Search for Import/Export Service.
- Go to Import/Export Service and disable the option for 'Validate Layout References'.
Note: The changes in the resolution are system-wide changes.