- It is common among users being in doubt about which is the most suitable way to create and build new themes.
- Two main ways of doing this are available:
- Using Liferay Blade or Liferay Developer Studio, which will use Gradle or Maven tasks in turn.
- Using the Liferay Theme Generator, which will rely on Gulp tasks.
- While the first one does not present more requirements than having Liferay Blade or Liferay Developer Studio configured, the second approach needs the NodeJS/NPM stack put in place.
- Liferay DXP 7.0+
- Users should use the approach that suits better for them, although considering the following guidelines might help make this decision:
- The themes within Liferay DXP use the second approach.
- Although the first approach is older, the second one offer a newer and more updated way to create and build themes.
- If the development environment does not or cannot have the NodeJS/NPM stack available, then the use of Liferay Blade/Liferay Developer Studio would be the way to go.